April must have been ukulele month. I worked on no less than four of them, in varying sizes, styles and colors. This is an interesting concept - it's a Gretsch G9126 ACE guitar ukulele. It couples the 17" tenor uke scale with the comfort and convenience of six strings (tuned like a guitar capo'd at the 5th fret, A to A.) Neat!
The bridge has been giving me some problems. I noticed it last summer when I did some electronic work, and this time I couldn't let it go without making it better. It uses the slightly archaic system of angled slots cut through diagonally from the top to the back of the bridge:
In this case the slots are augmented with holes intended to receive the knotted ends of string. Only problem is, the slots are a little wide and the holes are a little deep. The knots on the 4th and 5th strings want to creep up inside the slot and once lodged it's a real struggle to get them out.
I'm going to inlay a strip of wood along the back edge to eliminate the problem. I see a couple of suspicious looking circles that give me the creeps. I can't be sure of course, but I think there might just be some steel screws hiding in there. I should probably stay away from them with the router bit...
The track is a snug fit for my palm router and can be angled or moved back and forth into position. I set the bit for the final depth and pivot it in, taking a series of passes.
There we go: a nice straight-sided cut. I will square up the corners with a chisel.